PSY 660 Social and Cultural Foundations
Journal Exploration Paper
Throughout the course of this semester, students will complete a journal exploration paper.
Using the Hatch Library database (or other source available to you), choose a peer reviewed
article from within the last ten years on any of the topics presented in the textbook related to
social and cultural issues AND theories in counseling. Any article older than ten years or not
peer reviewed will not be accepted, and the assignment will be considered late and not graded
until an appropriate article is found and submitted.
Once you have selected an article please email me the article for approval.
You must submit a copy of the article used along with your written assignment to Canvas. The
paper will be considered late and not graded until a copy of the article used is uploaded to
Canvas. If you have any questions about whether an article is peer reviewed, please do not
hesitate to ask. Points will be deducted for submitting the assignment late in accordance with the
late work policy as stated on the syllabus. The paper will be graded based upon content, format,
grammar, spelling, and punctuation as indicated in the grading rubric. One point will be deducted
for every three errors in grammar, spelling, or punctuation.
Important: The article must address both elements: social and cultural issues AND counseling
which may include aspects of the therapeutic process such as diagnostics, individual or group
treatment, psychopharmacology, transference, or other aspects relating to counseling.
You are to prepare a 3 page review of the article that includes the following elements.
Please title each section and number your responses as indicated below.
DO NOT WRITE OUT IN ESSAY FORM
Brief Summary/Introduction (1 page in length)
1.What is the main theory/hypothesis/question posed/focus of this article?
2. Why is it an important question to ask/investigate?
3. What are the key results or findings?
Impressions (1 page in length)
1. What did you find striking or interesting about these findings?
2. Did the findings surprise you or were they consistent with what you expected?
Where did your expectations come from? What were your expectations based on?
Conclusion (1 page in length)
1. What are the implications of the study’s findings related to social and cultural
2. How, specifically, will you be able to use this information and knowledge in future
Paper Format and Other Instructions
1. At the very top of the page, put a complete APA citation including the doi number or URL,
etc. so the reader knows the source of the article. Students are expected to use the 7th edition of
the APA Publication Manual as a reference. If you use another source as a reference and it is
incorrect, do know that you will be held responsible for format as indicated in the APA
Publication Manual, as that is the industry standard. You do not need a title page.
2. The paper’s format should be consistent with APA format – size 12 font, one-inch margins,
3. Make sure you submit a copy of the article you used along with your written paper.
This is the link you need to get the journal.
My user name :firstname.lastname@example.org
Password:Youth1992### is the school